A 41 years old man from Selangor has become the first ever Malaysian to test positive for Wuhan coronavirus (2019-nCoV) after he returned from Singapore from Jan 16 to 23 on a business trip.
This was announced by Health Minister Dr Dzulkefly Ahmad (above) in a press conference at the Kuala Lumpur International Airport yesterday.
While in Singapore, he had been in meetings that were attended by “international delegates”, including those from China. Singapore’s Ministry of Health said in a statement that he had been at the Grand Hyatt Hotel, located near Orchard Road, for those meetings.
Six days later after returned to Malaysia, he sought medical treatment for fever and cough from a private hospital in Selangor.
On Feb 2, he was referred to Hospital Sungai Buloh and placed in an isolation ward. He tested positive for Wuhan coronavirus on Feb 3.
Noting the possibility of “limited local transmission”, Singapore advised against alarm.
“Though this cluster (of cases including the Malaysian man’s) constitutes limited local transmission, there is as yet no evidence of widespread sustained community transmission,” Dr Dzulkefly said.
Dr Dzulkefly added the man currently in a stable condition and all his family members are being monitored.
Contact tracing procedures have also commenced in both Malaysia and Singapore.
We are praying hard for his speedy recovery!
Source : The Star