A hero 9-year-old girl saved her street from disaster by waking her family when she smelled gas at 4am. Aoife Dean alerted her mum and dad telling them the house had a funny smell.
When the family realised the strange smell was gas, they contacted gas engineers who traced the smell to a neighbouring home where a cooker had been left on for 14 hours. After arriving at the family’s house at around 4am, a gas engineer managed to wake all the neighbours.
“The gas man said that it had built up to a level that even if the neighbour had turned their light on and created a spark, it could’ve caused an explosion,” Aoife’s mum, Sian said.
“She’s a hero. She saved the whole street – we’re so proud of her.”
“If the gas had caused an explosion, the damage could have been extraordinary. I don’t think Aoife recognised how important what she did was until we sat her down and explained.
Her dad, John added “If you smell gas, you should phone the emergency gas people and turn off all your appliances.”
“It’s not something that you would expect from a nine-year-old.”
Aoife was given a certificate from the gas company and a handwritten letter thanking her for her heroic actions.
Source : China Press