A Pakistani barber who tested positive for Covid-19 had conducted illegal house-to-house services during the movement control order (MCO).
The barber was sent for Covid-19 testing by his employer, which is a requirement for all barbershops who hire foreigners and after he was tested positive, a total of 40 people who had close contact with the man have been screened and quarantined, said Health D-G Datuk Dr Noor Hisham.
The patient is a Pakistani national who works as a barber at a barbershop. The shop he worked for had been closed throughout the MCO period since Mar 18. However, this barber continued to provide house-to-house hair cutting services to clients in the nearby area.
“I was notified by the Titiwangsa Health Office, who were informed by a private hospital of a Covid-19 case.
“Based on records, 25 close contacts, including 21 clients and 4 of his housemates, have been identified.
“The shop resumed business on Jun 10, and after testing positive for the virus on June 11, we had identified another 15 people who had close contact with the barber.
“In total, 40 close contacts have been identified and all have been screened and are currently under quarantine, ” said Dr Noor Hisham at the ministry’s daily Covid-19 press conference here.
Dr Noor Hisham said the barber was admitted to the Sungai Buloh Hospital on Jun 11. Health Ministry is still in the midst of identifying the source of virus and investigation is ongoing.
Source : The Star