The list of hotel closures in Penang continues to increase with the latest casualty being the iconic Holiday Inn Resort, which had been operating for over four decades since 1959 in Batu Ferringhi.
The four-star family resort has two buildings along Penang’s tourism belt, one which faces the sea and the other across the street from it and backed by the hills.
A message to the hotel’s associates written, “As you are aware, the company has carried out extensive cost management measures since Covid-19 was declared a global pandemic on March 11.
“It has had many implications around the world with the travel, hotel and leisure sectors being particularly impacted and our hotel is no different,” said Asia Garden(Owner of Holiday Inn Resort) manager, Jeff Yap.
Yap said after monitoring the market and prospects of their business, the matter was further deliberated as Malaysia moved into the Recovery Movement Control Order (RMCO) phase.
After extensive consideration, the hotel decided to cease operations from Jun 30. It’s an extremely difficult decision because Holiday Inn Resorts have been committed to Penang for over 40 years.
“The magnitude of this crisis has proven to be overwhelming and the continuation of business is no longer a viable proposition,” Yap added.
Source : NST