The Menara City One condominium tower in Jalan Munshi Abdullah, Kuala Lumpur is the third place where the enhanced movement control order( MCO) has been placed, after two villages in Johor and an area of tahfiz schools in Hulu Langat.
Defense Minister Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob said this was done after there was 17 confirmed Covid-19 cases in the building. There is 3,200 residents in the 502 condominium units and business premises in the tower.
According to China Press, about 70% of the residents are foreign workers. it’s believed that some of the residents even have problems with their three meals. Two residents was seen with a message ” Tolong hantar nasi” (Please send us some rice) in their balcony which caught media attention.
“Based on the number of cases and advice from the Health Ministry, it was decided that the enhanced MCO, which will be in place from March 31 to April 13.This will allow the tracking of cases from unit to unit within the 14 days,” said Ismail Sabri in a statement on Monday.
Ismail Sabri added that all visitors are not allowed to enter the condominium block and said that all business activities are to be stopped immediately, except for those selling essentials.
“The residents can order food deliveries to be dropped off at the security posts at the lobby. There will be a medical base at the tower and all entrances and exits to the tower will be closed off, ” he added.
He also said that police, army, Malaysian Civil Defence Force and Rela volunteers will be guarding the closed-off area.
Last week, Putrajaya had announced the EMCO in two areas in Simpang Renggam in Johor after recording 61 positive cases of Covid-19 there, out of 83 in the Kluang district. While yesterday the EMCO in 7 villages in Hulu Langat in Selangor, after 71 positive cases were identified among 274 residents of a tahfiz school there.
Let’s #StayAtHome and #BeatCovid-19!